"A Handcrafted Take on Contemporary Style"
Aksa (अक्स) means Soul in the Hindi Language
Welcome to Aksa Home Decor. We’re so glad you’ve discovered us and want to know more about us. Here at Aksa, you’ll find a number of handmade homeware / home decor accessories and jewellery items.
Taking inspiration from the rich and diverse culture of the Indian civilization that has enriched itself with the best of crafts and techniques over the centuries of its existence, we wish to provide you with exceptional quality products from our motherland, India. If you are looking for Indian handicrafts online in Australia, then you should browse through our collection to find unique artworks.
We are a 100% Australian owned family for profit, premium fair trade, an earth-friendly business run by a dynamic couple who believe in bringing a social change to the lives of marginalized communities by bringing people and cultures closer together through our collection. We believe that money and good intentions alone don't make a better world, it is when we look, listen, and learn the journey of our artisans that we can improve the conditions of that community. We make sustainable products that last and do not become victims of the ‘throwaway culture’. To enable this, we work with Fair Trade small business producers and artisans and ensure adherence to our stakeholder clause. Aksa is committed to the hard work of following its purpose.
"The purpose of Aksa Home Decor is to grow our small business whilst having an overall positive impact on our community and the environment, all through the simple act of buying."
You can feel good about supporting skilled artisans who can practise their heritage by bringing contemporary home decor products used in modern Australian homes.
India has a world of different cultures, beliefs, religions and languages within itself. Different states have varying styles of craftsmanship and techniques. Many art forms like Madhubani Painting, Tanjore Painting, Warli Art, Mughal Painting, Kalamkari, Gond Painting, Brass sculptures, Jaipur hand blocks are well-known and well-loved in western countries.
"I am like a drop of water on a rock. After drip, drip, dripping in the same place, I begin to leave a mark, and I leave my mark in many people's hearts." - Rigoberta Menchu Tum
With your help, we can provide dignity and confidence to many Indian artisans who weave magic and love to various consciously crafted items.
Why choose Aksa Home Decor?
- Our business is owned, led by Aditi Sharma (Company Director, Founder). In this journey she is joined by her confident, understanding, motivated, amazing people's person and love of her life, her husband, Susheel Kumar.
- We are 100% family owned Australian small business i.e. no external or public investors
- We are a small team that gives us freedom and flexibility to create one of a kind products which are sure to impress
- Our roots are based in India, keeping us close to the artisans who create the products and keeping us humble & grounded to make a difference in their lives
- All of our products are sourced via Fair Trade organisations, ensuring we give back to the communities where the founders grew, travelled, and took inspiration from.
- Our product suppliers are Guaranteed WFTO members (Membership Type: Fair Trade Organization). World Fair Trade Organisation (WFTO) members are fully verified as Fair Trade plus social enterprise. They have been peer reviewed and independently audited, along with their Fair Trade suppliers. ( You can read more about WFTO on WFTO website. You can read our policy on rest of the suppliers like packaging material supplier on our supplier policy page)
- We promote environmentally responsible (No greenwashing ever!), socially beneficial and economically viable practices for our artisans.
- We believe in bringing people and cultures closer together to celebrate our oneness despite differences in traditions, art forms and heritage.
- Endorsed Fair Trader of Australia
- Member of Fair Trade Association Australia and New Zealand and Fair Trader of Australia
Meet the Founders
The love for India always remained in the hearts of Aditi and Susheel while they explored the many aspects, perspectives and challenges that life presented in their memorable journey of 21+ years. Aditi and Susheel met each other in their graduation college and bonded over the their common interests, aspirations, values and beliefs. They did spent a lot of years away from each other, in long-term distance relationship to aspire and fulfil their dreams as individuals while always remaining true and loyal to each other as a couple. They married and settled happily with their loved ones before embarking on adventure of settling in Australia in 2015 and resetting their life in their 30's.
It did take a few bumps on the road to reach where they are. Having grown old and (hopefully) wise over the tides of time, they continue to work together as a team for their Fair Trade shop - Aksa Home Decor - with new thoughts, ambitious dreams and constant learning while raising their children in the beautiful and vivid Sydney city.
Let's Join hands
The consumers we have a choice. Where we spend our money matters more than ever and with every purchase, we’re voting with our dollars.
As the Aboriginal elders of our great nation said - "Yaka Gana" (Don't do it alone / Together always), together we can create a better and kind world by addressing entrenched disadvantages faced by developing nations.