At Aksa Home Decor, we believe in creating a world of opportunity where all people are valued and empowered to reach their potential. We have incorporated these values into our company. Here we briefly touch upon the 10 principles or commandments of Fair Trade. If you want to understand what is meant by 'fair trade', read on.
1. Providing opportunities for disadvantaged producers and artisans - Poverty reduction through trade continues to form a key part of the our aim.
2. Transparency and accountability - Open and transparent trade and communication is vital to our success and of our artisan groups.
3. Follow Fair Trade Practices - We recognize, promote and protect the cultural identity and traditional skills of our artisan producers as reflected in their craft designs and other related services.
4. Provide fair payments - Did you know that over 124 million of the world’s most vulnerable households live on $2 or less a day? Did you know that around 9 million people die every year of hunger and hunger-related diseases? Fair Trade works to help artisan families by paying them fair wages for their hard work – so they can provide healthy food, clothing and education for themselves and their children. We ensure that the fair pay to our artisan groups is meets their needs and they can put their wants put first at the same time that this price ensures fairness to market.
5. Do not engage in child labour - Our artisan groups do not engage in child labour.
6. Do not discriminate, promote gender equality - Our artisan groups promote gender equality, providing equal opportunities to both men and women.
7. Provide good and safe working conditions - Our artisan groups comply with national and local laws on health and safety.
8. Build capacity - We seek to increase positive developmental impacts for our small, marginalised artisans and producers through Fair Trade. We equip the underprivileged communities with the tools and resources to craft quality goods.
9. Promote fair trade - We try to raise awareness about fair trade as much as we can, to make a better place for all of us.
10. Respect environment - Fair Trade is not just fair wages and working conditions, it goes beyond that. It means respecting the environment and ensuring everything is done in an environmentally safe manner. This extends from how our goods are packaged to where they're manufactured.
Our artisan groups use sustainably managed local resources and all products are received by us via sea transport. You can feel good knowing that your purchase supports these values no matter what product you buy!
Fair Trade is a trading partnership, based on dialogue, transparency and respect that seeks greater equity in international trade. It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and workers along with keeping our planet first.
Fair Trade is a way for us as consumers to contribute to the improvement of lives around the world. In addition, Fair Trade also offers you an opportunity to buy products that come from more sustainable sources and promote sustainability throughout your life. Help make the world fairer and friendlier with Fair Trade!